Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Weekend Getaway

My husband gets an A for effort this year. I don't know about you, but Valentine's day for us usually means a date with dinner. Which, if you go to a good resturant, usually means an hour plus wait, unless you go somewhere that is reservations only. So this year we thought we would try something different.

A few weeks ago my husband had heard about the Aspen Grove Family Camp and Conference Center and while he was browsing their website he noticed that they had Marriage Weekend Getaways and there just happened to be one on Valentine's Day. These getaways include educational lectures on marriage with dinner and accomodations Friday night, breakfast and lunch on Saturday and outside recreational activies of cross country skiing and snowshoeing. The outdoor activities really interested my husband, he loves to be outdoors and I try to keep up with him. Even though we are coming up on 28 years of marriage, there is always room for improvement, so we thought we would give the weekend a try.

The getaway was well worth it. We had a good time and learned alot. The food was fabulous! Dr. Jason Carroll gave 4 1-hour lectures (1 Friday night and 3 on Saturday morning) was very captivating while he instructed us on how to better communicate in our marriage. He gave us great advice and many things to practice and use. We wanted to snowshoe, but I had brought the wrong kind of shoes so I waited while my husband walked the trail. While we were up at Aspen Grove it snowed about 7 inches. While we were listening to the lectures, we were in a room that had big windows and we could see the snow falling amidst the evergreen trees and the mountains. It was a beautiful sight.

Overall, it was a good experience and we came away with many good suggestions that we are going to implement into our marriage. My husband's need to improve his life and his desire to stay active are some of the many ways that I love him. I look forward to many more happy years with him. I love you Mr. B and thank you for a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. MiMi is so adorable! And heavens no I don't mind you looking at my blog! I love it! I added you as well! I so miss you and the Primary! Truly! I have really struggled with it! :(
    Great post! What a fun idea! I'll have to let the hubby know about the Aspen Conf. Center!
    Love ya tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've always wanted to do something like that! Some sort of marriage retreat thing. Seems like a great bonding opportunity and a great way to get on the same page. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It sounds like a great weekend and we all could use a little help with our marriages. I will have to check it out! Your blog is adorable and i don't mind at all that you add us to your link...if I can do the same:) You are an amazing person and I look up to you!

    ReplyDelete