Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Life, Lately

My life lately has been really busy and somewhat stressful. After we returned from our wonderful trip, I had to start studying for my National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX). This is the licensure test that officially confirms that you are ready to begin practicing as a registered nurse. I have to admit I was so tired of studying, but the fear of failing the NCLEX was enough to keep me motivated. I also had some good friends from school who wanted to study together which helped keep us all motivated. You need to understand that all during nursing school you are being prepped for this exam. The instructors are drilling into your minds ways to study for it and they are constantly giving insightful hints to help you answer questions that you may have no earthly idea of what the answer might be. There are practice questions that are similiar to the real questions, 3,500-4,000 to be exact, that you are encouraged to work on, that will help you with the exam. It is highly suggested that you do all of the practice questions before you take the test because it will further your knowledge. Alot of weight is put on this exam, not only the fact that you have to pass to work as an RN, but also the nursing school you attend is judged on how well their students do on the exam. Now you can fail this test and retake it, but come on who wants to at $200 a pop. So needless to say, this test is a big deal!

In between study sessions I have tried to get my flowers and vegetable garden planted. We had are sweet grandchildren for a weekend. So much fun and so much work!

Isn't he adorable! He is showing off his Batman pjs.

Addy loves wearing her hat. She gets cuter by the day.
Then the dreaded day of the exam arrived. I felt prepared because I did about 10-12 hours of studying a week, but it is one of those tests that you just really do not know how well you did. You feel comfortable half of the time that you know the answers, but the other half of the time you are thinking that you have no earthly idea what the answer is and you take an educated guess.
Well the good news is that I passed the test and I can finally start to enjoy my summer. I do need to find a job eventually, but for now, I am going to enjoy summer as much as I can. However, we do have a daughter getting married at the end of August that we need to finish planning. So who actually has time to find a job with all of the other things happening in one's life. By the way, I do love my life!

1 comment:

  1. Awe, what a great post! I'm so glad things are going well for you guys! YAY for the test, and YAY for the summer, and YAY for Brooke! And YAY for cute grandkids!!

    ReplyDelete