Saturday, May 23, 2009

LONDON - DAY 3

Today was another busy day sightseeing. We to Buckingham Palace to witness the ever so famous changing of the guards. That is a very pomp and circumstance event which Bret had a much better view of than I did. We have one of those sightseeing books about London which mentioned that the better part of the changing of the guards was done before the soldiers arrived at the palace at a different location. So he wanted to see that, but I didn't really want to, so I joined the hundreds of people who were waiting at the palace.

Changing of the Guards


Buckingham Palace

While Bret and a few other tour groups were waiting for the soldiers to come out of the specific area mentioned in the book, a policeman came out and told them that the soldiers would not be coming out this way today. So Bret decided to walk around towards the palace and happen to fall into an area where he had a great view of the ceremony. I was able to see it, but not as well as he did. I was in front of the palace up on the center fountain area and my view was sort of blocked by the gate and other people.  It was still fun and it is one of those sights you need to see when in London. 

We visited the Queen's Gallery, which is a museum that houses the royal treasures (art and furniture) that has been purchased through the years by the royal family. I found that very interesting and was glad that we stumbled upon it because that was not on our to do list. 

We wanted to visit Kensington Palace where Princess Diane lived while married to Prince Charles, but it was closed for the day. We hope to visit that on another day. The Kensington area is a very nice area, with a lot of shopping. I tasted my first gelato while shopping and forgot to take a picture of it. It was sooo good. Bret even liked it because it and he does not like many sweet tasting things. We didn't have time to go to Harrod's shopping, but we will before we leave. I hope to pick a scarf or something like that in my price range to bring home to my daughters.

In front of Kensington Palace

We are getting comfortable with the Tube and I wish we had something like that in Utah.  It is definitely the way to get around London.  Tomorrow will be an adventure.  We are heading to Wimbledon and Hampton Court and  will travel by the Tube and by bus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment