Monday, April 13, 2009

I'm finished :(

Last night was my last clinical for my preceptorship in labor and delivery. I never thought I would say this, but I am so sad. If you have ever been a nursing student, the usual response when you finish a clinical rotation is, "YES I'M finished!". Clinicals are usually really stressful because of all of the dos and don'ts and learning that goes on. You don't want to contaminate your sterile field, you hope and pray that you do have a flash of blood when you are placing your IV, (that means you are in the right place), and the list goes on and on. There is so much to learn and depending on your clinical instructor or nurse that you follow, it can be a good experience or a down right bad experience. This clinical experience was amazing! I am really going to miss the nurses I worked with. My preceptor (the nure I followed) was wonderful. I learned so much and have definitely decided that I want to practice in Women and Children's services.

This is my wonderful preceptor who taught me so much.

Some of the great nurses that I got to spend alot of time with. You guys are awesome!

The new project is finding a job. To work for an IHC hospital (which are most of the hospitals in Utah) as a new graduate, you must apply and get accepted to their Residency program that opens up about three times a year. There are limited openings and as you can imagine very competitive because most of the new graduates are applying. So join me in crossing your fingers, hoping that I can get into a Residency program. I have applied to two different programs. One at IMC in the NICU and the other is at one of the three Utah county hospitals.

Farewell to the lovely (not) green scrubs that I have had to wear the last two years. I am so tired of wearing them. I 'm thinking of having a "burn the scrubs" party to celebrate not having to wear them anymore.

I only have 2 tests and 1 paper to write and I will be finished with my schooling. I can hardly believe it. I'm looking forward to this new and exciting chapter in my life.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you had a good experience. I have to say I share the same feelings. I have one more clinical to go and I'm sad. I've loved feeling like a part of the team and being entrusted to take care of pts. I love feeling like a real nurse. I'm also going to miss the people I've been working with. Is such a rewarding feeling after all our hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Annette! I am so happy for you! You will make an amazing nurse - so caring and motherly! Good luck finding a job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you're done! Yeah! London here you come for some much needed R & R! My fingers are crossed for a job for you!

    Thelissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you loved it! L&D is a special place to be. You get to help out with a crucial part of God's plan... Bringing these sweet babies into the world.

    Maybe someday we'll both get our dream and we can work together! Best of luck with the residency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS!! Jerad did his L&D at the Med here and it was... not a good experience. But it's MARVELOUS that you enjoyed it so much. I have actually thought of volunteering around here to be one of the people who comes in and just holds babies (seriously!). CONGRATS on your huge accomplishment! I am mega impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Good luck on the Residency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Annette! That is so wonderful! I'm so proud of you! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaaaaahooo! Doesn't it feel good? Congrats and phew your done. I can't believe how hard it is to get a job now! When I graduated we all had so many options. Good luck on getting into a residency program and a job that you enjoy. Have fun in London! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete